At the Maris Practice, we offer two therapies to help release tension and improve circulation in the face, neck, and head:
- Osteopathic Facial Massage (OFM),
- Natural Rejuvenation Facial Massage.
These treatments can help your face become more relaxed and look refreshed as releasing tension helps relieve stress and allows the mind to calm. Our faces are an extremely expressive part of our body and a lot of our emotions are both expressed and held in our faces.
Osteopathic Facial Massage (OFM) and Natural Rejuvenation Facial Massage
These facial massage treatments offer gentle, non-invasive therapy utilising a variety of techniques to release tension and improve circulation in the face, neck, and head. These massages are deeply relaxing, restorative treatments.
This therapy is based on the principles of osteopathy, a holistic approach to healthcare that emphasizes the interrelationship between the structure and function of the body.
OFM is performed by a licensed osteopath therapist who has received specialized training in this technique. Natural Rejuvenation Facial Massage is performed by a qualified massage therapist.
The therapist uses a combination of gentle massage, stretching, and pressure-point techniques to manipulate the soft tissues of the face, neck, and head. The goal is to release tension in the muscles and fascia, increase circulation, and promote lymphatic drainage. These facial massages are beneficial for people of all ages and can be used to address a variety of concerns, including:
- Facial tension and pain: facial massage can help release tension in the muscles of the face, jaw, and neck, reducing pain and discomfort.
- TMJ disorders: facial massage can help alleviate symptoms of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, such as jaw pain and clicking, by releasing tension in the muscles around the jaw.
- Sinus congestion: facial massage can help improve circulation and lymphatic drainage in the face and head, which can reduce symptoms of sinus congestion and pressure.
- Headaches and migraines: facial massage can help reduce the frequency and intensity of headaches and migraines by releasing tension in the muscles of the face and neck and improving circulation.
- Facial rejuvenation: facial massage can help improve the appearance of the skin by increasing circulation and promoting lymphatic drainage, which can reduce puffiness and promote a healthy, youthful glow.
During a facial massage session, the therapist will begin by assessing the client’s facial structure and identifying areas of tension or restriction. The therapist will then use a variety of techniques, such as gentle massage, stretching, and pressure-point therapy, to release tension and improve circulation in these areas. The therapist may also use techniques such as myofascial release, craniosacral therapy, and lymphatic drainage to address specific concerns.
Facial massage is a gentle, non-invasive therapy that is safe for most people. However, it may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions, such as recent facial surgery, severe acne, or certain skin conditions. It is important to consult with a licensed therapist before beginning any new therapy. Unlike Botox or other injectables, facial acupuncture is a natural approach to improving the appearance of the skin. It doesn’t involve the use of any chemicals or toxins and is therefore considered a safe and effective alternative to more invasive procedures. Facial acupuncture works by targeting specific points on the face, as well as points on the body that are connected to the face through the body’s energy channels. By stimulating these points, facial acupuncture can:
- Increase circulation to the face, promoting the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the skin,
- Boost collagen production, which can improve the skin’s texture and elasticity,
- Reduce inflammation and puffiness, resulting in a more youthful and refreshed appearance,
- Relax facial muscles, which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Other benefits for the skin can include reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, reduced puffiness and under-eye bags, reduced acne and other skin conditions. In general, facial acupuncture suitable to most people but it is not recommended for individuals with bleeding disorders or those taking blood-thinning medications, as it may increase the risk of bleeding or bruising.