Over indulging in food and drink during the festive season is part of the fun – but it can take its toll on our bodies and leave us feeling bloated and unwell.
Alongside the mince pies and mulled wine, one of our homeopaths Shauna Wyldeck-Estrada makes sure her cupboard is well stocked with homeopathic medicines to help her through the ailments of the season.
Here are just a few remedies which might help you through the festive period:
- Nux vomica: this is known as “the hangover” remedy but can also be used for the general symptoms of over-indulgence. Symptoms include heartburn, indigestion, and nausea, a headache, sensitivity to noise and light, and irritability. Particularly suits “workaholics” who tend to burn the candle at both ends, keep going with coffee and feel the cold.
- Arsenicum: this remedy comes into play when the symptoms are like that of food poisoning, with vomiting and diarrhoea, a pale palour and anxiety. Symptoms are worse at night, with burning in the digestive tract and a desire to sip water. It suits restless people who worry, need to plan ahead and feel the cold.
- Sulphur: symptoms include offensive diarrhoea which drives the patient from bed in the morning, excessive sweating, and burning feet. Suits stubborn proud people who are always hot, and crave sugar and spicy food.
- Lycopodium: symptoms include bloating with wind, a huge appetite, and waking as if from a fright. There is heartburn with sour burping. Suits fearful people lacking in confidence, especially in new things, but can be bragging and assertive at home.
- Arnica: this is a great remedy to help with bruising and that “battered” feeling you get after Christmas shopping or bargain hunting in the January sales.
Do please call if you need any further advice!